An Inn on the Cotswold Road to London
The Lygon Arms was established as an inn in 1532 by the Whyte family, in the quiet village of Broadway.
During the time of the infamous King Henry VIII it was known as the White Hart Inn.
A popular and busy half-way house accommodating merchants and travellers on their way to London, they
offered guests fireplaces in rooms, feather beds, good meat, wine and fish for saints' days and Lent.
From its very beginning the Inn was always exclusive - only the truly prosperous slept on feather beds
or had fireplaces in their rooms.
Sixteenth Century Travellers
In the 16th century many a royal would pass through Broadway and its surrounding villages.